National Tax Services - Tax Controversy Regulatory Services - DirectorJob Category State and Local Tax Level Director Specialty/Competency National Tax Services Time Type Full time Travel Requirements Up to 20% Job ID 491896WD Location(s) NC-Raleigh, NC-Charlotte, IL-Chicago, OH-Cincinnati, OH-Cleveland, SC-Columbia, OH-Columbus, TX-Dallas, VA-Richmond, MD-Baltimore, NY-Rochester, IL-Rosemont, CA-Sacramento, MA-Boston, MO-St. Louis, UT-Salt Lake City, TX-San Antonio, CA-San Diego, CA-San Francisco, CA-Silicon Valley, WA-Seattle, SC-Spartanburg, CT-Stamford, FL-Tampa, OH-Toledo, GA-Atlanta, OK-Tulsa, TX-Austin, DC-Washington, CO-Denver, IA-Des Moines, MI-Detroit, NY-Buffalo, NJ-Florham Park, TX-Fort Worth, NC-Greensboro, CT-Hartford, TX-Houston, IN-Indianapolis, MI-Grand Rapids, CA-Irvine, FL-Jacksonville, MO-Kansas City, NV-Las Vegas, AR-Little Rock, CA-Los Angeles, KY-Louisville, AL-Birmingham, AR-Fayetteville, NY-Melville, WI-Milwaukee, MN-Minneapolis, VT-Montpelier, TN-Nashville, LA-New Orleans, NY-New York, OK-Oklahoma City, PA-Philadelphia, AZ-Phoenix, PA-Pittsburgh, OR-Portland
A career in our State and Local Tax Controversy practice, within State and Local Tax services, will provide you with the opportunity to help our clients solve their business issues related to business restructuring, adoption of new tax laws, and communicating local tax developments. You’ll help with assessing our client’s state and local tax burden and recommend solutions that support their overall business objectives to ensure that their filling positions are consistent with good business practices and with the states applicable tax laws and rules. Our team helps our clients successfully navigate the local tax process and procedure to facilitate compliance, drive negotiations and issue resolution, and assist with strategic forward planning. We combine the knowledge and extensive experience of tax professionals from all major regulatory tax functions including examinations, appeals, international, and legal.
To really stand out and make us fit for the future in a constantly changing world, each and every one of us at PwC needs to be a purpose-led and values-driven leader at every level. To help us achieve this we have the PwC Professional; our global leadership development framework. It gives us a single set of expectations across our lines, geographies and career paths, and provides transparency on the skills we need as individuals to be successful and progress in our careers, now and in the future.
As a Director, you'll work as part of a team of problem solvers, helping to solve complex business issues from strategy to execution. PwC Professional skills and responsibilities for this management level include but are not limited to:
- Support team to disrupt, improve and evolve ways of working when necessary.
- Arrange and sponsor appropriate assignments and experiences to help people realise their potential and support their long-term aspirations.
- Identify gaps in the market and spot opportunities to create value propositions.
- Look for opportunities to scale efficiencies and new ways of working across multiple projects and environments.
- Create an environment where people and technology thrive together to accomplish more than they could apart.
- I promote and encourage others to value difference when working in diverse teams.
- Drive and take ownership for developing connections that help deliver what is best for our people and stakeholders.
- Influence and facilitate the creation of long-term relationships which add value to the firm.
- Uphold the firm's code of ethics and business conduct.
We’re leading the way as technology-enabled tax advisors who provide value through digitization, automation and increased efficiencies - all made possible by equipping our professionals to succeed in a world where transactions are faster, more complicated and require a deeper level of sophistication. PwC Tax provides unparalleled technical knowledge and specialization and industry insights, coupled with the One Firm knowledge that brings everything PwC offers to solve our clients’ needs.
Job Requirements and Preferences:
Minimum Degree Required:
Required Fields of Study:
Minimum Years of Experience:
CPA, Enrolled Agent or Member of the Bar
Preferred Fields of Study:
Demonstrates thought leader-level abilities as a team leader, emphasizing the following areas:
- Extensive knowledge of IRS structure and strategic forward planning, including negotiations, issue resolutions, examinations and appeals, internal controversy resolution, excise tax, technical consulting, audit support and information reporting and withholding;
- Thorough knowledge of international tax ramifications of performing cross-border services, tax minimization planning, consulting, tax compliance and business planning services;
- Extensive technical skills, including federal tax, examination and dispute resolution process, analyze legislative and regulatory tax development, research, analyze and write options on proceedings and federal tax law;
- Thorough experience identifying and addressing client needs: developing and sustaining impactful client relationships using networking, negotiation and persuasion skills to identify and sell potential new service opportunities; preparing and presenting complex written and verbal materials; and defining resource requirements, project workflow, budgets, billing and collection; and,
- Thorough experience as a team leader: leading teams to generate a vision, establish direction and motivate members, create an atmosphere of trust, leverage diverse views, coach staff, and encourage improvement and innovation.
Demonstrates thought leader-level abilities and proven record of success as a tax technical team leader generating new business, proposal writing and delivery, collaborating across engagements and business units. Identifying opportunities to provide additional services with experience utilizing a CRM system in a professional services firm to network, develop relationships and sell additional/new services.
Demonstrates thought leader-level abilities as a team leader in a professional services environment utilizing automation & digitization in a professional services environment including, but not limited to, innovating through new and existing technologies, along with experimenting with digitization solutions:
- Working with large, complex data sets to build models and leveraging data visualization tools to provide insights to clients;
- Transforming the business by creating capacity and delivering an enhanced employee and client experience: and,
- Evaluating and negotiating new and existing contracts, as well as leveraging pricing tools to contribute to pricing strategies.
Learn more about how we work: https://pwc.to/how-we-work
PwC does not intend to hire experienced or entry level job seekers who will need, now or in the future, PwC sponsorship through the H-1B lottery, except as set forth within the following policy: https://pwc.to/H-1B-Lottery-Policy.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at PwC without regard to race; creed; color; religion; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic predisposition or carrier status; veteran, marital, or citizenship status; or any other status protected by law. PwC is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
For positions based in San Francisco, consideration of qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For positions in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New York State, or Washington State, or for opportunities that will report to a supervisor, office or other work site in New York State, please visit the following link for pay range information: https://pwc.to/payrange-v1-taxdirector
PwC Recruiting: H-1B Lottery Policy
PwC currently is not hiring experienced or entry level job seekers who will need, now or in the future, PwC sponsorship through the H-1B lottery, except as set forth here.Learn more
Live and work flexibly
At PwC, it’s about being flexible for what matters most. Our work model allows for this through our hybrid way of working.Learn more
Diversity, equity and inclusion at PwC
Building on a culture of belonging.Learn more
The firm offers a comprehensive set of benefits around mental health and well-being through our Be Well, Work Well initiatives.Learn more
Receive email alerts when jobs become available and match your specified area(s) of interest.
Top Reasons to work at PwC
Explore the top reasons to work at PwC.
Our approach to bringing generative AI to businesses is rooted in building trust and delivering outcomes.